1.11.2011

{get out of that bubble}

via on Pinterest


“People travel to faraway places to watch, in fascination, the kind of people they ignore at home.” – Dagobert D. Runes

I was looking for travel quotes this morning, and I came across this one which really made me stop and think. I didn't even want to write about it because I wish it didn't have such an impact, and underlying truth. I mean, don't you think? You travel the world and see people that are completely different from you; people that speak differently, cook differently, have different traditions, and it is fascinating. I think one of the best parts of travel is that it opens your eyes to the world, and to things you may have never thought about or were too busy to learn about. It gives you a glimpse into something different. But the second we get back home it's like we oftentimes forget how to appreciate and accept those different from ourselves and, in turn, stay in our self-made bubbles of comfort, surrounded by people that understand us.

I don't want to be that way. We don't have to travel to learn about other cultures, we can do that right at home, by talking with someone you would normally overlook, by trying a food you've never tasted before, by reading a book about a country or culture different from the one you're used to.

On another note, when you do get the chance to travel, get out of the box and off the tourist-beaten trails. Talk to the locals, hear their stories, learn their culture from them. It will probably open your eyes more than you thought possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment