1.08.2011

{FoodStuffs; Winter Lentil Soup}

Well hello 2011, and readers of “A Life Inspired”. For those of you I haven’t met yet, my name is Carlie. My picture is over there on the right (thank you Jennie). I realize it’s been there for a while and I’m sure everyone has been wondering why. So here I am! Jennie has asked me to write about foodstuffs. While writing isn’t something I enjoy on a daily basis, I do love creating yummy, well balanced meals for friends, and family.

What I hope to do here….well there will be recipes of course, but also fun new products I discover, things I’ve tried recently, and anything else that I find worth sharing. Feel free to ask questions and make requests. It takes one to inspire one. I’m not much for resolutions I do have one resolution for 2011; I want to inspire you to get creative in the kitchen, to try things you’ve never tried. I want share how easy it is to eat seasonally, locally, healthy, and most importantly DELICOUS foods that nourish your whole body, from the inside out.

-Cheers!

Winter Lentil Soup

This is my go-to soup recipe. It's easy, fast, and delicious! Perfect for winter. It’s vegan, but if you want to add meat I would add a nice chopped sausage or chorizo.


2 cups French green (or black beluga) lentils, rinsed

1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

1 large onion, chopped

1 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt

1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes

2 cups water

3 cups of dino/laccino kale roughly chopped

Bring 6 cups of water to a boil in a large saucepan, add the lentils, and cook for about twenty minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.

In the meantime, heat the oil in a heavy soup pot over medium heat, then add the onion and salt and sauté until tender, a couple minutes (if you’re including the sausage add here). Stir in the tomatoes, lentils, and water and continue cooking for a few more minutes, letting the soup come back up to a simmer. Stir in the chopped greens, and wait another minute. Taste and adjust the seasoning if need be.

1 comment:

  1. mmmmmgood. and easy. How about some cookbook recommendations!

    ReplyDelete